What’s the Difference?

Copyright and Licensing may go hand in hand, but they are quite different.  What’s the Difference?

What are we covered for?

WorshipArts work with licensing entities to provide group-purchased licensing, bringing the best coverage at discounted rates to each of our corps, centres and creative groups.
Licences are reviewed every year and every change of circumstances to ensure we are covered for our activities.


The Australian Performing Rights Association (APRA) help music creators get paid for their work and give music users easy ways to legally play and copy what they like.  We work closely with APRA to make sure we are honouring and respecting the rights of music creators.

Community Band, Choir or Performance Group Licence

Corps and performance groups are covered for public performance by the Community Band, Choir or Performance Group

Retail Licence

Corps-managed Family Stores are licenced through the Retail licence


Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI) enables real-time access to licensed Christian music and media while at once easing the burden of administration in the many complex issues related to copyright.

Looking for your certificate?  Log in to the CCLI Profile Page, under Account, choose View Licences and Services and press the Download Certificate button.

Church Copyright Licence (CCL)

The CCLI Church Copyright Licence (CCL) permits churches to project or print out the words and music to the world’s great worship songs and hymns.

With this licence, the church is covered for recording services on behalf of those unable to attend in person.

Further, the licence permits the creation of custom musical arrangements where no published version exists. A simple alternative to seeking direct permission from each copyright owner, the Church Copyright Licence is a trusted solution and presently covers more than 250,000 churches worldwide.

For more information, see CCLI’s Church Copyright Licence Manual

Music Reproduction Licence (MRL)

This licence enables you to legally photocopy or scan typeset pages from many of the songbooks and music publications commonly used by churches. It also permits you to share sheet music digitally—such as by emailing PDFs to others or by downloading music from a file-sharing app.

For more information, see CCLI’s Music Reproduction Licence Manual

Church Video Licence (CVL)

The Church Video Licence™ provides the legal cover required to publicly show film scenes during services and full-length films during outreach and social activities. It covers a huge range of films and many of the major studios, including: Fox, Paramount, Universal, DreamWorks, Focus Features and NBC/Universal Television.

For more information, see CCLI’s Church Video Licence and ScreenVue

Heritage Films

Big Movie Studio Licence

For corps (churches and worship centres), this is the only church licence that covers Disney, Roadshow, Sony, Marvel, Warner Bros, Pixar, eOne, Transmission and more.  For full details read more on the official site Big Movie Studio Licence

Roadshow Licence

Social centres are best covered by the Roadshow Public Performance Licence


Not everything in the new Salvation Army Songbook is covered through CCLI or is Public Domain.  Coverage for the projection of lyrics and music for pieces like I, the Lord of Sea and Sky is covered by

If you cannot find a piece that you are using on CCLI’s Online Reporting Tool, please contact, and we will report it for you.